Monday, April 16, 2012

Titanic and Bowling

Since yesterday was the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic sinking I thought it would be appropriate to share a fun fact. Then I will move onto my next topic.

FUN FACT: The Titanic sank 1,300 miles east of Boston and Boston is only 1 hour and 15 minutes from Newport. Pretty interesting I thought. 

Now that I have paid my respect to the Titanic, I will move on to a more fun topic, BOWLING!!

If you are in Newport and you are in the military you will know that the Navy base right in the center of the island.

For those lucky enough to go on it there are a number of useful things. One of those things I have found to be really fun is the bowling alley. It is cheap and really nice inside (surprisingly). Their hours are kinda screwy too. Sunday thru Thursday they close at 8!! So we decided to venture off this island to try to find bowling else where during the week.

For those of you who are not able to go onto the Navy base there aren't many options (well ANY) options for bowing on the island. Ryan, Sara, Brandon and I went to Old Mountain Lanes in Wakefield. It is just over the Newport bridge about 30 minutes away. They have some great specials! Monday thru Thursday they have bottomless bowling starting at 9pm. 3 hours of bowling including shoe rental for $9.95 a person, can't beat it! We went, we bowled, we had a BLAST!

In Massachusetts they have Candlepin Bowling. I personally have never heard of it before, but from what I have heard it sounds like so much fun. You can only do it in Massachusetts though. They are tall skinny pins and you have to knock them down with a really little ball. Once I try it I will let you know how it is!

So there are some options for bowling, but none on the island unless you are military or have military friends, unfortunately.




No comments:

Post a Comment